Sr. Network Engineer (Project Delivery)
Wanted: A Techno-master of Interstellar Connectivity
(Also known as a Project Delivery: Sr. Network Engineer I-III)
EMBARK ON YOUR JOURNEY
We invite you to join Entara and wield your mastery of “everything networks” as a Project Delivery Sr. Network Engineer! Entara’s Project Delivery team is regularly leveraged as trend-setters when it comes to technical alignment and optimization for our clients. They are a team that identifies technical issues and respond with future-minded designs. They don’t stop after the Visio diagram—this same team takes the lead on all significant implementations, changes, and deployments that affect Entara’s client-base. They are the pre-sales technical voice, the project leaders, the change makers, and the last point of escalation on the call-tree for raging fires. The work they deliver evolves our client’s technical landscapes- making them more efficient, effective, and secure than they were previously.
Our Sr. Network Engineers have mastered the art of leveraging the latest technical advancements and translating those into solutions that significantly impact our client’s ability to operate in tip-top-shape 24x7x365. They come to Entara as subject matter experts in the areas of everything route, switch, firewalls, and wireless. They have regularly harkened to and established best practices for the environments they previously managed and take that eye for “how it SHOULD work” and creatively apply that to our client’s unique obstacles. Their network mastery has lent them the ability to address our client’s technical mountains with scalable solutions. They are primarily self-managed—bringing with them a disciplined disposition towards execution even when they have multiple projects in tow. In other words, our Sr. Network Engineers are a powerhouse of creative thinking and strategic impact. Are you the type of network leader we’ve been looking for?
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
(Otherwise known as the fine print, the list of job tasks and responsibilities.)
Project Delivery Sr. Network Engineers are primarily responsible for specifying and implementing network solutions for Entara’s clients, and for ensuring the stability and performance of client networks. Sr. Network Engineers also act as an advanced escalation tier, providing support for incidents and issues escalated from the Managed Services team. They are focused on project development, design, and delivery. While they primarily work on improvement measures for current clients, their expertise is utilized in the pre-sales and on-boarding processes to lend a strategic, technical voice to new client relationships. Being part of a team that is primarily project based, our Sr. Network Engineers are required to maintain billable utilization thresholds and optimize their time towards client-facing deliverables.
- Design Solutions
- Review escalated project suggestions from client account managers to determine most effective solution for proposal
- Conduct Network assessments to capture native design, utilization, and known issues of current or prospective client infrastructures
- Communicate and document recommendations for network refinement and alignment to Entara standards
- Proactively identify and remedy risks in customer environments
- Develop strategic & timely solutions in response to client needs and requests
- Leverage and maintain Entara standards in solution design
- Review escalated project suggestions from client account managers to determine most effective solution for proposal
- Deliver Projects
- Execute project deliverables: design, configure, test, implement, refine, document, monitor, and transition to managed services for ongoing maintenance and support
- Work closely with Managed Services engineers on troubleshooting issues or addressing changes that may be needed to ensure network is operational and functioning as intended
- Follow Entara’s Change Management Process to perform approved changes in client environments
- When necessary, participate in Change Advisory Board (CAB) meetings
- Maintain Billable Utilization
- Maintain high project CSAT metrics per scorecard
- Illuminate Relationships
- Take ownership for client experience:
- Guarantee project deliverables are met; ensure customers are satisfied
- Look for ways to improve project experience (internally & externally)
- Ensure client documentation is complete, accurate, and up-to-date upon transition to Managed Services
- Interpret technology concepts to clients in a way that is meaningful and valuable to their business
- Research and recommend new systems, technologies, tools, and platforms
- Identify process improvements which will increase efficiency or reduce risk
- Take ownership for client experience:
- Resolve Issues
- Troubleshoot complex escalated network issues, determine root cause, and implement solutions
- Act as a point of escalation for Entara network engineers for hard-to-solve or highly impactful operational issues
- Participate in network on-call rotation for Entara clients
- Update ServiceNow time & project entries, work notes, and expenses in real-time
- Mentor Mindfully
- Delegate tasks when appropriate to improve efficiency and offer growth opportunities for other team members
- Cross-train with other engineers and provide cross-training opportunities
- Mentor junior-level engineers, helping them to advance their technical aptitude and application
- Assist in the development of technical training and skill vetting for engineer skill development
WHO YOU ARE: REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- You are completely familiar with the extended alphabet soup of IT—TCP, UDP, DNS, WINS, DHCP, VPN, STP, VLAN, EIGRP, 10GbE/1GbE—because you have at least five years of hands-on experience working with routing, switching, firewalls, and wireless networking. You do not have one year of experience repeated 20 times. You have at least a four-year degree in a relevant field, and you’ve earned vendor-level certifications like Cisco CCNP or CCIE.
- You’re the expert composer of the IT environment, turning disparate combinations of devices into beautiful, symphonic arrangements. Not only do you have a stellar foundation in hardware and network operating systems and their diagnostic tools, you can masterfully navigate the elaborate configurations of core networking technologies, their tools and protocols, and the platforms they’re found on. You are the IT version of the Gershwin brothers—at the forefront of the latest in your field, performing at the highest levels, and constantly pioneering new solutions for the benefit of both clients and those colleagues coming up behind you.
- You have highly developed knowledge of standard employee productivity suites, mobile device configurations and support, switching, network firewalls, and wireless security technologies. You have outstanding operational understanding of concepts like trunking, fiber circuits and cross-connects, VLAN tagging, and link aggregation. You’re a master of the Cisco device ecosystem, and core protocols such as BGP, OSPF, and Spanning Tree.
- You’ve got a specialty (or several) within networking but are forever anxious to add new competencies. As a networking pro who refuses to reach a ceiling, you’re just as likely to valiantly conquer a wider breadth of technologies such as Citrix NetScaler appliances, security appliances like FireEye, Juniper or Arista devices, Palo Alto firewalls, and concepts such as WAN optimization, CoS/QoS, and multicast. The key to excellence—not to mention a fulfilling life—is continual learning. Entara supports and rewards professional growth.
- You have an approach to working hours that is more adaptable than the traditional "9-to-5". You're career driven and motivated to put in the time and effort to get the job done right, and you take immense pride in your personal follow-through. At the same time, you can grasp what to prioritize, when to call it a day, and how best to build in some breaks for personal wellness. Balancing work and life well is an art you value in yourself and one that Entara fully supports. You need to be at your best in order to do your best, and that starts with building healthy work habits--something we are continuously pursuing together.
- As a Sr. Network Engineer, you will be a dedicated member of our on-call rotation and as a project resource, you will complete tasks that may occur afterhours or on a weekend.
- You are ready to be an effective remote worker and have a dedicated, private space for a home office and already have in place a reliable, private internet connection with at least 25MBPS bandwidth. Public wifi and shared common spaces do not meet these standards. Entara will supply you with the other necessary tools and hardware to complete your tasks remotely.
Core skill summary: 5+ years relevant experience; Cisco IOS required, Palo Alto, Juniper, and Cisco NX-OS a plus; concrete senior to expert understanding of, and operational familiarity with, BGP, OSPF, route redistribution, Spanning Tree, LACP, trunking and 802.1Q, firewalls and ACLs, IPsec, NAT, TCP/UDP, IPv4, Wi-Fi, RADIUS, and packet capture; familiarity with traffic engineering, Python (or other scripting), IDS/IPS, load balancers, SD-WAN, QoS/CoS, policy routing, NAC, IPv6, and Azure or AWS connectivity a plus; Windows, VMware, Linux, and / or Active Directory experience a plus; familiar with related concepts such as DNS and DHCP
WHO YOU ARE: PERSONALITY-WISE
- Right Brain, Left Brain OS: You’re a little bit of a fanatic when it comes to knowledge of documented issues and solutions, but you’ve got a streak of Potter-ish ingenuity when something weird comes along. You break problems down, using a logical process of elimination to solve them. But you pay attention to intuitive inspiration.
- Persnickety: You develop complex, detailed instructions for complex, detailed tasks. Again, you avoid even thinking, “That’s good enough.” As someone who respects others’ time and manages expectations, you consider being “on-time” a virtue and see following through on commitments as the Holy Grail of your personal work ethic. You continually look to fill gaps in process, and find ways to improve those that already exist.
- Bilingual in English and Tech-speak. You understand what the problem is, even when the person calling is not making sense, technically speaking. While they’re talking, you’re thinking technologically, assessing and solving their issue, then translating the solution into English before communicating it to the recipient. In other words, you speak the mainstream language recognized by Muggles.
- Resilience of a rubber band: You don’t snap when stretched to your limits by panicked, frustrated and/or irate users who have run into dead ends, chalk it up to “it’s a networking issue” and are operating on their last nerve. You have the temperament of a Zen monk on a Rocky Mountain high. You enjoy sharing knowledge, working towards a solution, and do so in a way that’s respectful and understanding.
- Appetite for learning: You’re always reaching for the next apple on the knowledge tree, as well as the last piece of pizza in the box. Learning is its own reward—but it also helps when you have your eye on a job in the next tier. You like working in a managed-knowledge organization that promotes from within.
- Authoritative, but not autocratic: When tricky issues present themselves, you quickly know which resources to tap to develop solutions—and you understand the nuances of different approaches. You’ll be damned if you’re going to be stumped by a problem you know you can tackle; you consider yourself the consummate troubleshooter. Yet, you lead and delegate to others with clarity, and recognize when it’s time to consult a co-worker for help.
- Ambidexterity: You extend your hand down to support more junior engineers, as well as reach across the company for help when you need it. You’re adept at balancing your own workload with the responsibilities of the team. You’re intentional about sharing constructive feedback and ideas with colleagues while welcoming the same in return.
WHO WE ARE
Entara is a new kind of IT Managed Services Company. We’re built from the ground up to provide the strategic vision, platforms, processes and people to travel with our clients on the path to their best IT future. We partner with mid-sized Chicago organizations to make technology work brilliantly for our clients.
We launched in 2001, as the niche firm YJT Solutions (You Just Trade) helping to solve some of the IT challenges of Chicago’s most intense trading environments. Because of our success working in the financial industry, we branched out to serve other industries over a decade ago.
In 2018, we rebranded to Entara because our company has grown and evolved far beyond its original roots. We are doubling down on making investments in our future to better serve our clients. We are evaluating new toolsets, selecting and integrating the best ones for our future-facing IT Service Management platform, EntaraWorks. We are hiring tomorrow’s leaders, giving them the opportunity to grow beyond what they ever imagined.
We’ve been formally recognized as one of Chicago’s Best and Brightest Companies to Work For since 2017. We’ve also been named in the INC 5000 Top Growing Companies for the past three years! We’re also ranked among MSPmentor’s Top 200 global IT managed services providers, and our influence has expanded beyond the Chicago arena. Our sole focus is excellence. If you are fond of the phrase “close enough,” please don’t apply for this job. Our success is built on developing exceptional relationships with fellow co-workers and clients alike, as we collaboratively chart our best paths forward to the future.
Yes, we’re techies, geeks and nerds. But Entara’s excellence is all about relationships, not technology. We build—and build on—trust with co-workers, end-users, clients and their clients and employees. Entara’s mission is to make those people’s lives easier and their businesses more successful by resolving their IT issues and managing their systems. Bonded to your computer screens? Don’t apply for this position. Interested in building more than internet connections? Come on board.
Frodo couldn’t do it alone. He needed a team. Entara values teamwork and collegiality, especially on those days that feel like a march to Mordor. At Entara, everyone has a role to play, everyone leads in one situation or another, and everyone has the opportunity to grow into positions of increasing responsibility. If your goal is to be Lord of the Ring, please don’t apply for this job. If you want to join the Fellowship of the Ring, please do apply!
WHAT YOU GET IN RETURN
You’ll have a direct impact on our operations, our clients, and our fellow EntaraCorps members. Because of that impact, you’ll get our respect and gratitude for the role you play in making Entara the best it can be.
We’ll provide you with skills, training, responsibility and opportunities to grow, both at Entara and wherever your career takes you in the future. (However, we hope you’ll be successful here for a good, long time.)
We consider mentoring and participating in the continual learning of others to be absolutely essential for both you and your co-workers. You’ll benefit by developing your leadership skills—and by having a replacement ready when you’re ready to move up to another position.
We know that’s not enough.
Here are some of the employee benefits we currently offer:
- BCBS Gold-level PPO Medical Insurance, premiums paid 100% by us
- Generous and flexible Paid Time Off policy
- 401k Corporate Matching Program
- Reimbursement for approved certification tests and training, seminars, conferences and more
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Healthcare Savings Account (HSA)
- Dependent Care FSA
- Tax-advantaged Commuter Benefit Plans
- Company-wide outings every three months. Recent examples include Ravinia concerts, rooftop barbecues, floating the Chicago River, bowling & bocce, laser tag, and vintage gaming at Headquarters, among other things!
And there’s more…
Free snacks and drinks, weekly lunches, and “Fridays at Four.” Combine that with the chance to work with a variety of clients in some of the most interesting industries around, solve big problems, create new pathways in managed services, and help to lead our clients and ourselves deep into the future, and Entara becomes the one IT company that’s hard to beat.
And there’s even more...
Our spirit is what makes us different. We work hard. We play hard. We care about each other because we respect where each of us comes from and who we are. We have a more evolved notion of teamwork--solving client problems together and scouring the horizon for new ideas together. We recognize the journey we’re all on, from our clients to ourselves. We’re all at different places on that journey, and each stop requires support, knowledge and courage to move on. It’s why we bring the best tools and support to our clients. And why we treat and reward our EntaraCorps the way we do.