Technical Business Analyst
Wanted: Technical Business Analyst
WHO WE ARE
Entara is a new kind of IT Managed Services Company. We’re built from the ground up to provide the strategic vision, platforms, processes and people to travel with our clients on the path to their best IT future. We partner with mid-sized Chicago organizations to make technology work brilliantly for our clients.
We launched in 2001, as the niche firm YJT Solutions (You Just Trade) helping to solve some of the IT challenges of Chicago’s most intense trading environments. Because of our success working in the financial industry, we branched out to serve other industries over a decade ago.
In 2018, we rebranded to Entara because our company has grown and evolved far beyond its original roots. We are doubling down on making investments in our future to better serve our clients. We are evaluating new toolsets, selecting and integrating the best ones for our future-facing IT Service Management platform, EntaraWorks. We are hiring tomorrow’s leaders, giving them the opportunity to grow beyond what they ever imagined.
We’ve been formally recognized as one of Chicago’s Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in both 2017 and 2018. Although we’re ranked among MSPmentor’s Top 200 global IT managed services providers, our customers are generally local to the Chicagoland area. Our sole focus is excellence. If you are fond of the phrase “close enough,” please don’t apply for this job. Our success is built on developing exceptional relationships with fellow co-workers and clients alike, as we collaboratively chart our best paths forward to the future.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
(Otherwise known as the fine print, the list of job tasks and responsibilities.)
Reporting to the Director of Professional Services, the Technical Business Analyst is primarily responsible for devising, maintaining, and optimizing the business processes and workflows of Entara which interact with the toolsets that comprise our proprietary technology platform. Additionally, the Technical Business Analyst will organize the workloads, assignments, and processes of the Platform Support team. This role requires a keen understanding of how the resources of Entara (people, processes, and tools) can best be channeled and matched with available technologies in order to drive efficient internal and external service delivery in the organization.
- Platform Analysis
- Ensure the suitability of the platform toolset for the requirements of business processes, and identify issues for remediation or opportunities for development.
- Understand the limitations and capabilities of the core software in the platform toolset in order to recommend appropriate changes to processes or technology.
- Consult with stakeholders and managers of teams that leverage the platform to capture requirements and translate their systems and process needs into actionable proposals.
- Roadmap and prioritize proposed changes to the technology and manage overall workload of the Platform Support team.
- Assess the continual alignment of platform modules and workflows with ITIL service delivery processes and drive compliance with ITIL and industry best practices.
- Utilize data and reporting available in the platform to analyze team performance and the correlated effectiveness of various processes; summarize meaningful findings to company managers for use in performance evaluation of various teams
- Test the platform’s performance to validate functionality and alignment with business requirements.
- Platform Optimization
- Convert platform improvements which were identified in platform analysis into Enhancement records in ServiceNow that detail the connected business requirements and the value of modifying the system to improve workflows.
- Ensure that process changes requiring software development are associated with development requests in Enhancement records.
- Own and maintain the guidelines and processes used by the Platform Strategy team in fulfilling the weekly release cycle for platform software components.
- Oversee the operation of the weekly Platform Advisory Board and assist with prioritization and throughput of development tasks.
- Apply knowledge of scripting and databases to execute certain scripts or programs that integrate with the platform to provide enhanced reporting capability.
- Confirm and monitor the effectiveness of implemented solutions as designed for the platform and log any Defects for remediation.
- Utilize your knowledge of the Entara technology platform to provide input and recommend development to the Director of Professional Services.
- Conduct surveys of strategic thought leaders, industry publications, and platform stakeholders to capture positive and constructive feedback on the function and efficiency of the technology platform to drive continuous improvement efforts.
- Process Management
- Create and map business processes for workflows that leverage the Entara proprietary technology platform, accounting for all possible directions of the process flow.
- Train the stakeholders and participants of each process to drive alignment and consistency in execution.
- Resource Management
- Perform initial planning and assignment of resources for internal and external platform projects.
- Ensure project delivery processes are followed and that project documentation is actively maintained in the Entara platform.
- Organize team structure and meeting cadences for resources within the Platform Support Team.
- Supervise the Platform Support team members, track utilization, and re-prioritize efforts dynamically as necessary.
- Client Account Management
- Create and maintain client-facing reporting dashboards; train client users on dashboard navigation.
- Provide business analysis and project management services to clients for short- and medium-term contract engagements.
- Client Audit Management
- Perform planning and assignment of resources for the technical alignment audits Entara conducts for its clients.
- Manage the platform software Entara uses to conduct the audit, including management of roles, permissions, audit records, alignment roadmaps and reporting.
- Ensure service delivery processes are followed when initiating and presenting an audit to the Client.
- Monitor the effectiveness, scalability, and user adoption of the technical alignment audit process.
WHO YOU ARE: REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- You have at least a four-year degree with a major in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Information Technology.
- You have at least one year of hands-on experience with ServiceNow software, specifically within the IT Service Management and IT Business Management modules.
- You have at least one year of experience in a role heavily based upon business analysis or business process optimization, including the development of workflows for technical service delivery processes aligned with ITIL methodology.
- Demonstrated work experience and basic proficiency in the use of Microsoft Visio and Adobe Creative Suite to create process visualizations.
If your skillset doesn’t meet these requirements, you won’t be a fit for this job. Please don’t apply. If you’re working toward this skill level, please look at our other job openings. One of them may be more suitable, while positioning you to move into a more senior role.
WHO YOU ARE: PERSONALITY WISE
- Right Brain, Left Brain OS: You’re a little obsessive-compulsive when it comes to knowledge of documented issues and solutions, but you’ve got a streak of Potter-ish ingenuity when something weird comes along. You break problems down, using a logical process of elimination to solve them. But you pay attention to intuitive inspiration.
- Persnickety: You develop complex, detailed instructions for complex, detailed tasks. Again, you avoid even thinking, “That’s good enough.” As someone who respects others’ time and manages expectations, you consider being “on-time” a virtue and see following through on commitments as the Holy Grail of your personal work ethic. You continually look to fill gaps in process, and find ways to improve those that already exist.
- Bilingual in English and Tech-speak. You understand how to take plain-English requests or requirements and then translate them into technical solutions. In the opposite direction, you can convey the highly technical work you’re organizing to stakeholders in business terms they can absorb. And most importantly, you use your judgement and the sense for the connection between toolsets and business operations to ensure that nothing is lost in translation.
- Resilience of a rubber band: You don’t snap when stretched to your limits by requests with competing priorities or by urgent issues that require you to pivot quickly. You have the temperament of a Zen monk on a Rocky Mountain high.
- Appetite for learning: You’re always reaching for the next apple on the knowledge tree, as well as the last piece of pizza in the box. Learning is its own reward—but it also helps when you have your eye on a job in the next tier. You like working in a managed-knowledge organization that promotes from within.
- Driven by details: You enjoy being in the weeds and diving into the details. In fact, your attention to detail and ability to apply analytical thinking at a micro and macro level are hallmarks of your working style. You understand the nuances of different approaches and you’ll be damned if you’re going to be stumped by a problem you know you can tackle; you consider yourself the consummate solutions finder.
We’re serious about these qualities. If they don’t apply to you, you won’t be happy at entara and we won’t be happy with you. We’ll part ways sooner rather than later. Let’s avoid all that discomfort by agreeing you won’t contort yourself to meet requirements that just don’t fit. You are who you are, and that’s okay.
WHAT YOU GET IN RETURN
You’ll have a direct impact on our operations, our clients, and our fellow EntaraCorps members. Because of that impact, you’ll get our respect and gratitude for the role you play in making Entara the best it can be.
We’ll provide you with skills, training, responsibility and opportunities to grow, both at Entara and wherever your career takes you in the future. (However, we hope you’ll be successful here for a good, long time.)
We know that’s not enough.
Here are some of the employee benefits we currently offer:
- BCBS Gold-level PPO Medical Insurance, premiums paid 100% by us
- Generous and flexible Paid Time Off policy
- 401k Corporate Matching Program
- Reimbursement for approved certification tests and training, seminars, conferences and more
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Healthcare Savings Account (HSA)
- Dependent Care FSA
- Tax-advantaged Commuter Benefit Plans
- Company-wide outings every three months. Recent examples include Ravinia concerts, rooftop barbecues, floating the Chicago River, bowling & bocce, laser tag, and vintage gaming at Headquarters, among other things!
And there’s more…
Free snacks and drinks, weekly lunches, and “Fridays at Four.” Combine that with the chance to work with a variety of clients in some of the most interesting industries around, solve big problems, create new pathways in managed services, and help to lead our clients and ourselves deep into the future, and Entara becomes the one IT company that’s hard to beat.
And there’s even more...
Our spirit is what makes us different. We work hard. We play hard. We care about each other because we respect where each of us comes from and who we are. We have a more evolved notion of teamwork--solving client problems together and scouring the horizon for new ideas together. We recognize the journey we’re all on, from our clients to ourselves. We’re all at different places on that journey, and each stop requires support, knowledge and courage to move on. It’s why we bring the best tools and support to our clients. And why we treat and reward our EntaraCorps the way we do.